Welcome To Esporles | Home
Alaro | Algaida | Ariany | Arta | Banyalbufar | Bendinat | Binissalem | Buger | Bunyola | Cala Mondrago | Campanet | Campos | Capdepera | Consell | Costitx | Deya | Escorca | Esporles | Estellencs | Felanitx | Fornalutx | Inca | Lloseta | Llubi | Llucmajor | Manacor | Mancor de la Vall | Marratxi | Maria de la Salud | Montuiri | Muro | Orient | Petra | Porreres | Puigpunyent | Sa Pobla | Sant Llorenc des Cardassar | Sant Joan | Santa Eugenia | Santa Margalida | Santa Maria del Cami | Santanyi | Selva | Ses Salines | Sineu | Son Servera | Valldemossa | Vilafranca de Bonany | F A Q | Links | Contact Us | Majorca Accommodation | Flight Information |
As you would expect Esporles and the surrounding area, doesn't as yet feature in any of the major tour operators brochures,
and since public transport from the Son Sant Joan airport just isn't really a practical option, anyone considering a holiday
here must make provision to either collect a hire car from the airport, or make the transfer into the town by one of the many
taxis that will be waiting outside the arrivals hall.
For those visitors who do prefer to make the short journey by car, in preference to a taxi transfer, after arcing around the northern residential suburbs of Palma, the Ma-1130 road will take you as far north as Ses Rogetes, at which point the Ma-1120 will then take you the final few miles into Esporles.
As with the other destinations on this site, a detailed version of the route from Palma, complete with links to maps where appropriate, is available from the Route Map link on the left hand frame of this page.
The municipality shared its administration with that of neighbouring Banyalbufar until the second half of the 16th Century, a situation which caused problems and rivalry between the two municipalities, but eventually became independent.
The area is famous for being home to one of the most important and historical buildings on the island "La Granja d’Esporles". This mansion house and farm has a long history and the location was greatly favoured by the Romans because of the large number of natural springs.
However, it was the Moors who first began building and were responsible for erecting the farmhouse. With the Christian conquest of 1229 the house came under feudal possession, but in 1230 it was handed over to the Cistercian monks, who held it for 200 years, until it became the property of the Vida family. This family owned it for another 200 years, after which it was passed to the Fortuny family. The present owner is D. Cristóbal Seguí Colom.
This beautiful property, set in such stunning scenery, has been very popular with the aristocracy over the years. King Pedro IV was particularly fond of the house and released pheasants and partridge into the surrounding forests to provide sport for the Royal hunt, strict fines were imposed on any locals who dared to capture them.
© Copyright Islas Travel Guides
No part of this web site may be reproduced without the prior written permission of the publishers. For further information please contact Islas Travel Guides. Whilst every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of editorial content of this site, no responsibility can be taken for any errors and omissions that occur therein.